Friday, February 7, 2014

Beatles inaugural U.S. visit (February 7, 1964)

This being the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' first U.S. trip, the media is full of retrospectives of one sort or the other.  I hadn't quite turned eight years old, and have no recollection of the event - probably about as connected with pop culture events then as now, just for different reasons.

In grade school art class, I consistently,
and charitably, received a grade of "C".
But I do remember that my mom had bought Beatles spiral notebooks - maybe a set of four featuring all of the famous visages?  And I recently had run across mine when looking for the notebook mentioned here.  So it turns out that we were well aware of the Beatles.  And I got McCartney - probably because we shared the name Paul?  Now he's a knight, whatever that means these days.

The notebook's cover page received similar treatment as was given to plenty of baseball cards in those days, at least for players we didn't like.  I don't recall disliking McCartney, but who knows.

And then there's my drawing on the first page of the notebook, featuring the fab four performing under a starlit sky and a scruffy thing that no doubt is supposed to represent a tree.  But even my drawing isn't entirely respectful of the boys, as it includes a fellow behind the tree preparing to detonate a crude-looking bomb.  Hmm.

This particular artwork is from my personal collection - not submitted in the classroom.  Still, if a seven-year-old
handed in  something like this to a teacher in 2014, wouldn't the pupil be sent off for extended counseling?

No comments:

Post a Comment