Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Father's Day recollection

As I've posted various time on my basic website, I've always been highly pleased with my dad.

As kids, we never did know much about his cooking skills - did he know how? Two primary hypotheses: (1) he actually couldn't cook much of anything; or (2) he could, but wisely chose to let my mother handle the cooking.

On Father's Day 2010, I'm recalling his one specialty cooking item: popcorn. But not the low-rent microwave or hot-air-popper versions. Nor the popping method found in every dorm room in the 1970s (large plastic tub top (which served as the container) atop a nonstick heater/base). The far better memory is EMG preparing real popcorn in a skillet.



This involved a fair amount of theater, and we all found it highly entertaining. Waiting for the first kernel to blow up (at which point a chorus of "I got that one" ensued). Watching the skillet being banged on the burner. Munching on the popcorn (often, in the early days, in those white plastic bowls that I believe were a free item courtesy of Tang). Free advice that we could keep our hands clean if we just held the bowl up to our mouth (it works, depending on the shape of the bowl).

Anyway, included above is a 20-year-old clip that seeks to re-create the fun. Plenty of encouragement from the game-playing onlookers, decent cooperation from the subject of the short movie. Somewhat lacking in authenticity: no one yelled at the first pop (0:08).

Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment